Dienstag, 16. März 2010

DAY 10

A long time ago there was the unbeaten Lord of Sleep Baloo and his reign over dreams was never questioned but one day the mighty sleep-rapist and incarnation of all nightmares Mick started to overthrow his kingdom with chaos and woke him up at 4.30 in the morning.
Baloo’s mighty will started to shake and madness started to grow in his mind resulting in the urge to eat meat again and kill the invader Mik.
Fortunately Mick’s mother (Johanna’s brother’s wife) being a good fairy talked to the all mighty Lord of Sleep and banned the madness from his mind.
Then we headed for the University of Johannesburg where she dropped me and continued to drive to her own work.
I was waiting in the visitors lounge until Thoko the Local Committee President (lcp) of AIESEC UJ picked me up and showed me around.
We talked about loads of different things which are somehow connected to AIESEC and started to create an overview of the state of the art.
Oh my god! The situation is almost 100% the same as the one that our executive board (eb) faced when we started our term on the 15th of March in 2009.
-different understandings of what AIESEC is about
-some members seem to have joined just for fun
-the transition from the old to the new eb could’ve been loads better
-no one of the current members joined a trainer seminar
-almost no documented knowledge
-BUT a motivated eb which wants to bring CHANGE ^^
Unfortunately facebook and more important youtube are blocked on most computers on the campus. That sucks because loads of videos about management, goal setting and stuff like that are stored on youtube and hell lot of friends who could help us here are on facebook.
By the way I can understand why facebook is blocked. This is the most fanatic facebook nation I’ve ever seen. Some people write almost everything on facebook who they are in love with, who cheated on who and who’s gonna get beaten up for that. It’s just crazy!!!
After a while more members of the eb joined us and I had loads of interesting talks with ‘em. (their names are sooo cool but I’m gonna reveal the nicknames once I know all of them. Sounds like a bunch of superheros believe me)
Later in the afternoon Thoko and I decided on the key points on which I’m gonna work on:
eb:
-prepare a small session about the goals and values of AIESEC which should help us to set our focus on the organisations purpose
-gather information about the current state in all teams including members, processes, responsibilities, goals and what not
-help to develop SMART goals for AIESEC UJ

talent management:
-get an English version of a buddy booklet
-create a SWOT of the recruitment campaign
-give support with induction, selection and allocation of the new members

Furthermore I’ll be probably joining an AMAZING Leadership conference (NaLDS)
in Botswana the upcoming weekend!!!!!
I’m really looking forward to be working with the local AIESECers and to rock that conference.
Back home in the evening I finally remembered to call Johanna and apologized for my rudeness yesterday but she is still a little pissed which means I must really have been a total bastard while I was half asleep.
And now prepare yourself… my skin is finally turning brown!!!
YES, Arab 1 : German 0!

1 Kommentar: