Sonntag, 7. März 2010

DAY 1

Guess what I did during my great sleep last night?
… I WAS SWEATING!!! So please be jealous once more.
The obvious reason for that would be the heat in South Africa but I think it is because I didn’t play guitar for more than 2 days which means my addiction kicked in.
Fortunately Johanna’s brother knows a second hand market where I spent almost all my money on a guitar and a tuner (still can’t tune even after 8 years of playing->LAME!) because in South Africa second hand stuff is still worth a lot, way more than second hand things in Germany.
After that we went home, picked up Johanna, one of the neighbours and a really old woman and went to Cosmo City one of the poor townships in Joburg.
There we met two other Bahais to teach the children and play with ‘em.
I just want to remind you that these are no religious fanatics but people who actually wanna help, I mean Johanna’s brother studied accounting, the old woman proclaimed equality in South Africa during apartheid, one of the Bahais is a professor for economics at university and the other one a doctor -> No freaks at all just some very inspiring people who didn’t loose their morals along the way.
Do you know that feeling after you’ve seen another documentary about pharma/military industries, stockbroker-cocaine-heads or even worse politicians and you ask yourself ‘but what the fuck can I do to make the world at least a little better?’ well I guess educating kiddies is quite a thing.
Unfortunately I couldn’t teach their stuff so I just joined the class and later on
played footbag with the kids which they really enjoyed ‘cause they’ve never even seen such a thing before and you know what? They almost learned a friggin trick which took me two weeks in about 2 minutes. (damn advantage of being an input-processing-super-beast called child)
I also taught ‘em a funny ice breaker which we usually use in AIESEC to refresh during long lasting soft skill seminars and now I’m trying to think of more games you could play with kids which (almost) don’t require material for the next time.
Does anyone of you know the rules for that game where two kids have a rubber band around their feet and a third kid has to do various jumps between the band without touching it?
After some hours we left and my head was about to burst ‘cause I didn’t drink enough water which you really shouldn’t do when you’re jumping around at 30 degrees.
At home we talked quite a while about the no-go-issue religion which is always very interesting to me because I’m not religious but I’m interested into the philosophical ideas which they promote. (but really no sex and no drugs! This won’t work in the age of rock’n’roll I am sorry
At dinner we talked a lot about funny martial arts movies like these with Steven Seagal and John Claude van Damme and like most of the people they didn’t know about this funny disorder above John’s eyebrow which you’ll look at all the time once you’ve found it so have fun watching this cool trash once more.
Another funny thing is that Africans mix languages sooooo fluently sometimes that it is impossible to follow. I mean really like 2-3 African ones in an English sentence is just too much to take.
Tomorrow I’ll be going to the township once more and this time meet the real young kids about 4-7 years old but really I cant think of a game for these ‘cause at this age I was always spacing out in my own fantasy world.

2 Kommentare:

  1. Hey dude,

    i like your posts about Johannesburg. Got some very interesting insight views, thanks for sharing!
    Wanja

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. brief update from germany:
    we´re drowning in a flood of abuse cases!
    In a boarding school in Hessia already 24 cases came up in just a few days!
    holy moly! ...ohh, wait! that´s another thing!

    AntwortenLöschen